We are piloting a Graduates in Residence scheme at HCA.
Graduates from our B. A (Hons) courses can apply to benefit from continuing access to HCA facilities for free – this initial pilot aims to run between March- July 2020. For the pilot, we expect to find two Graduates in Residence (GIR). The pilot scheme is open to applications from 2018/19 graduates only, but if you are due to graduate in 2019/20 (this year) it might be worth keeping in mind as we will be putting out a further call for applicants in Autumn 2020.
Successful Graduates will be expected to:
- Independently create a new and conceptually coherent body of work during their time at college**
- Have a positive impact on the student community at HCA
- Contribute to HCA’s strategic mission and vision
- Be prepared to present their practice to current students
- Be pro-active and engaged, potentially mentoring other students
Graduates will benefit from (subject to monthly review):
- Computer space to use in course areas and/or access to IT suite computers*
- Full college log-in and email address
- Free use (student terms) of specialist equipment and resources (no print credit)
- Free use of HCA workshop facilities, with bookings being carried out through the workshop manager at their discretion, with maximum availability to be determined by workshop teams***
- Ability to feed back into the creative community of HCA in a positive way
- Reputational gain and an enhanced professional CV
We expect demand for GIR spaces to be high and there is a robust application procedure.
Applicants will be selected on the following criteria:
- Their ability to independently produce a body of work
- Viability of project (how well HCA can accommodate your project without disadvantaging current students )
- Their potential positive impact on the existing student population/community of HCA
- A clear link to college strategic vision within their application
- The ability to co-operate in a busy working environment
- Reference (from course staff )****
All applications which are within the scope of the scheme will be given short email feedback. Shortlisted applications will be reviewed by a panel, not by course teams.
An online application form can be found here.
Please note – you cannot save your application. However, you can download a template to help you draft your application (see below). You can then copy and paste the text across.
Other useful information
Please note the word template is to help you draft your application, not the application form. Please submit all applications on the online form – thank-you!
Closing date for applications is the 15th March 2020
* Successful applicants will be expected to be proficient in processes as we cannot provide technical support.
**Studio space is not part of this offer; computer space in course areas will be at the discretion of the Course Leader
*** Please note that workshop access is limited during June, July, August, and September
****This is a verbal reference. You are asked to identify a member of staff in your application and we will approach them here at HCA